Vassar Today

Summer Hard Hat Report

Residence Halls
The college is currently in the midst of developing a master plan for renovations to Vassar’s residence halls. In the meantime, routine maintenance projects continued this summer, as did several larger projects that were to be completed: The Noyes Hall lounge was restored to its original 1958 appearance, as designed by architect Eero Saarinen, and electrical and telecommunications upgrades were made to the residential halls in Main Building (the third, fourth, and fifth floors). These upgrades will support increased student needs and dependency on modern technology.

The Libraries

Renovations to the Thompson, Van Ingen, and Lockwood Library buildings, as well as construction of the new Martha Rivers (’57) and E. Bronson Ingram Library Addition are set for completion this academic year. Priorities for the project include additional space for books, additional space to house the College Archives in Special Collections, enhanced physical circulation through the libraries, integration of staff work areas, improved mechanical systems, electronic classroom space, group study/viewing spaces, additions and enhancements to the data/network connections throughout the library, a multimedia area, and enhanced and improved reader spaces. The architect is Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates.

Walker Field House has been completely renovated with new indirect lighting, a new Pulastic floor surface and paint, six newly renovated locker rooms, and a new 2,000-square-foot sports medicine facility that features its own rehabilitation area and hydrotherapy room in addition to two offices.

A brand-new facility, connected to Walker via a glass corridor, will be ready for use this fall. It will house a 5,000-square-foot fitness center and weight room, administrative and faculty offices, a conference room, a multipurpose room, laundry and equipment distribution center, four locker rooms, and a competition gymnasium with an elevated indoor track.